Just Checking In


I just wanted to check in with my subscribers.  I know I have been a bit quiet and haven't been able to get out many blog posts.  It is important to be consistent with blogging.   I wanted to just fill you in on some of the reasons why and assure you that I will be getting some new posts out about real estate appraising soon.  The month of June has always been an incredibly busy month for us as our kids get out of school and summer activities get into full gear.   On top of that, there are two additional things that have taken up my extra time.

1. Commercial Appraisal Work-  I am working towards obtaining my Certified General Real Estate Appraiser's License.  This is not an easy task.  I have been working on several commercial appraisal assignments and taking classes which take time.  You can read more about the different real estate appraiser licenses here.   I am excited about this experience and knowledge I am gaining as an appraiser.

2. Great Cycle Challenge-  The second reason, I have had so little time is because I have taken part in the Great Cycle Challenge where we ride and help raise funds for children's cancer research.  I have been riding in memory of one of my former students ( I was a first grade teacher before becoming an appraiser).  Her name is Chalisa Smith. I had the privilege of having Chalisa as one of my first-grade students.  She was a joy to have in my class! Chalisa was involved in competitive cheerleading, modeling, volleyball, basketball, softball, dance, school cheerleading, and a future actress all prior to being diagnosed with cancer. Since being diagnosed she was a champion fighter!!!  At the age of 11, she was diagnosed with neuroblastoma- a childhood cancer of the nervous system.  She went into remission a year after her diagnosis but the cancer returned in 2010.  In 2011, the Make a Wish Foundation granted her a wish of a room makeover.  Chalisa touched many lives in many ways before she left this earth at the age of 17.  She is loved and missed by many.  This year I am riding in memory of sweet Chalisa and doing what I can to help fight childhood cancer.  I was so blessed to know Chalisa.


Chalisa Smith
September 26, 1996 - February 16, 2014

My goal was to ride 150 miles in the month of June.  I am happy to report that I completed this goal this morning!  I have also been overwhelmed with the support.  So far I have raised $900 with a goal of $1,000.  If you would like to join me as we help to fight childhood cancer please consider a donation.  Any amount is appreciated!    As a part of this challenge, I have been blogging and sharing a few things about my journey along the way.  You can read about it here.







As a part of this challenge, Chalisa's photo and my photo were displayed in Times Square on their Tribute Day.  I thought this was pretty awesome.  


 I also give a big thank you to my fellow appraiser, partner and husband who rode every mile with me as we ride a tandem bike.  This was a great experience for us.   He took this picture when I received my jersey in one of our favorite places to ride, Lake Ray Roberts. 
https://greatcyclechallenge.com/Riders/ShannonSlater
Thanks for letting me share just a bit about what has been going on and I look forward to getting out a real estate blog post out soon.  

Again, if you would like to support my efforts in the Great Cycle Challenge please click here:
https://greatcyclechallenge.com/Riders/ShannonSlater


Because kids should be living life, not fighting for it!






Comments

  1. Congrats on the commercial focus. That's fantastic and it's actually something I'm considering too. Way to go on the ride too! That is amazing Shannon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I enjoy it and am finding with commercial appraising just as in residential, there are many niches available with different types of properties. I have gained experience in Apartments, Office, Retail, Land & Churches/Special Use. The ride was a fantastic journey and I was overwhelmed with the support.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts